Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pines of Rome

Thing I made while listening to Respighi's 'Pines of Rome'... You may know it from Fantasia 2000 (it's the one with the flying whales). Earlier this month I watched the NY Phil play it on PBS, and it was mind-blowing. Then, my college marching band played it at the NYSFBC Championships last weekend, and it was also mind-blowing. This is just a quick thing I whipped up, experimenting with some new brushes.


You can watch the SUMB play here. 6:50 is when I start to freak out... some sweet gate turns rotate into a field-length company front. Classic SUMB at NYSFBC... hehe. This was always my favorite performance of the year. We would prepare one show especially for it, and it would be the only time we performed it. The high school band kids would lose their minds... we seriously felt like rock stars. I miss band a lot, but I've never been more proud of the SUMB! Go Orange :)

-Anna

1 comment:

  1. Would you consider giving me permission to use your image of Pines of Rome for a nonprofit Concert Series I manage in the San Diego area? THe concert series is run through the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Dieguito in and donates procceeds from the concerts to local education based and social justice causaes in the area.

    Nice painting!!n Great music!

    ReplyDelete